Thursday, January 26, 2012

Food Inc.

I really enjoyed watching this movie. I have a farm background and was aware of many of the things in this movie, however I believe that everyone should have to watch a movie like this to understand where their food comes from. There are so many people that don't understand the history behind the hamburger they are eating or where it really came from or for that matter what is actually IN the burger.
My most favorite quote was actually the very first thing said in the movie "The way we eat has changed more in the last 50 years than in the last 10,000 years." This quote gives us so much to think about and it can mean many different things from; fast food vs. homemade, processed vs. organic, farming vs. factory. There so many different ideas in this one small quote. I find it very interesting that Tyson and Monsanto would not be interviewed for this film, it is so obvious that they know what they are doing is wrong. I personally think it looks worse on them to not be interviewed than it would if they would just come out and answer a couple questions.
One of the biggest shockers to me was the Monsanto situation. I knew that Monsanto was one of the biggest seed retailers but I didn't realize how much trouble a farmer could in if they didn't use Monsanto seeds exactly to their liking. My grandpa and many of the other Farmer's in my area use to reuse their own seeds. That was just the way it worked, if you got a good yield with a seed you wanted to use it again next year. In fact my grandpa still has a seed dryer to this day. Since the Monsanto topic interested me so much I researched a little bit of the history behind the Roundup ready soy bean. http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Monsanto_and_the_Roundup_Ready_Controversy this is a great article about the company and the chemicals they use. Again I do believe that everyone should watch this movie because as my grandpa would say, city kids don't know where their food comes from.

3 comments:

  1. Jonda I agree with you about people really needs to understand where their food comes from , I know that I knew a bit about it but food inc really made me open my eyes and understand where my hamburger comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandpa is a farmer in Wyoming! So I come from a back ground of farming to. Although I wasn't on the farm much, I knew how he handled things! I think it is cool. I agree that someone has to tell people where their food is coming from! I really like your understanding of the movie and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My step dad is a farmer, as well as many friends and family around my town that I know. I knew of some of the things that were happening in the farming and food industry, but not as much as the movie shared. You're right everyone, even those with farm backgrounds, should have to watch this movie and or learn extensively about the food industry for their own protection.

    ReplyDelete