Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Theme of Dreams

Throughout reading Holding on, I have been inspired by the theme of dreams and holding on to them at all costs. So for me the very last profile in Holding On really hit home with me. Virginia Belle Brewer despite the sacrifices and the disappointment that not a lot of people came to her museum, she held on strongly to her bells. In this aspect her bells were not only a dream or passion for her, they were her family. Although to many of us bells could seem so trivial, nothing of true importance but that is merely because it is not our own individual dream. Everyone has dreams, everyone has something that truly means a lot to them and because of that everyone's dreams are important which is what truly makes dreams so inspiring. They can be anything you set your mind to as long as you have the passion to go for it and never give up, then be living with that in mind you can reach those dreams and be thoroughly happy despite what anyone else may ever say.
In doing research on the theme of dreams itself, I was able to learn a lot. Many people today don't understand the importance of dreams which is devastating, but yet others still do. Those that do understand that dreams give us direction, and lead us on a pathway in life, a pathway that will most likely keep us out of trouble in pursuit of those dreams. Thoreau puts it best, "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be.
Now put the foundation under them." I honestly never understood this quote until now, but by doing this research and reading the profiles in Holding On it helped me learn the importance of them.
Some links I found on why dreams are important in our lives, and why everyone should have one. They are really good reads on how to go about setting goals, founding out what your true passion is, and how you can go about them to better yourselves.
http://www.riskytalks.com/the-importance-of-having-a-goal-and-living-it/
http://personalexcellence.co/blog/6-important-reasons-why-you-should-set-goals/
Some may call them dreams others may call them goals, but in the total picture of it all they are the same thing. Dreams as I have researched provide focus and drive in our life, without them we would truly be lost. I'm glad like Virginia Belle Brewer that I have a dream in my life that provides me with focus, happiness and a plan for my life that I know someday I will truly achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment