Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Collecting

There are a couple different profiles that I would like to look into a little more. Both my father and my grandfather are extreme collectors. My dad is a very avid collector of Zippo lighters (among other things), I couldn't tell you how many lighters he has but I guarantee it's thousands. My Grandpa on the other hand was a avid collector of tractors. At his time of death, just a year ago, he had over 700 full size tractors. As you can see both of these stories are similar to those of Stanley Kilarr (record collector) and Virginia Belle Brewer (bell collector). These people seem to become obsessed with finding something to add to their collection. What I would like to know is why people may become collectors and is it all all genetic. I actually have a fear of become as obsessed with collecting things as my dad and grandpa were. Something else that would interest me is how to be a collector without taking to far, without being a pack rat.

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/NewslettersArticle.asp?newsletter=go&article=700 This website does a really good job of explaining different ways you can become a collector but not take this collecting overly serious. Making it fun instead of obsessive.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6324250_psychology-pack-rat.html I really like how this article talks about how collecting/becoming a pack rat gets started. Its very easy to say no I am just collecting these things and then it gets to the extreme.

I had a hard time trying to find something good about if collecting is linked to your genetics or if you are more apt to collect things if your parents did. If anyone would finds anything I would love for you to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment