Friday, March 2, 2012

JC Church

I chose my pastor JC Church because I felt like he was a visionary in my community. I already knew a lot about him but I still learned a lot from his childhood that I didn't know. He was very interesting to listen to because he had many stories to tell. He had a rough childhood and it didn't get easier once he was first married either. Here's a few paragraphs from my essay:

I didn’t want to go into the ministry. I got the vision about the church and I prayed that it wouldn’t work. I said these words, “I pray that it goes over like a lead balloon.” I didn’t want to pastor. One out of one hundred pastors will still be pastoring at 65. The vision of the church was a multi-cultural church, multi-racial church, and very contemporary. I think visionaries needs to have that one person that sees something in them before they see it in themselves. I met Jessie Scott in 1986 and when I started going to church and she became my spiritual mentor and she is the one who saw something in me that I didn’t see.

I named the church Victory in Truth Ministries because I didn’t want to call it a church. A church if we’re not careful can bring the focus just on the inside but a ministry is to raise the idea that people’s focus is on the outside so we want to serve the community as a body.

Another thing besides the church that means a lot to me is running. I ran in high school and college. I got a scholarship to run in college or I wouldn’t have been able to go to college because my mom didn’t have money for me to go to college. I married my wife while we were still in college and I lost my scholarship so I didn’t finish school after we got married because I didn’t have the money to pay for it since I lost my scholarship. One of the people that had a great impact on my life was my high school coach, Coach Myers. “Honest to goodness, I would change my schedule and meet him every morning at 6 A.M. I would run, I would do whatever. My respect for him is so great.” He pushed me harder than any of the other runners because he knew I had it in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment